Thursday, June 28, 2012

Last week in the Provo MTC

Dear family and friends,
Hey family! I hope everything is going well! Thanks so much for the package! I loved the goodies and the clothing and lotion was very helpful. Hope everything is still going well with the fam. I'm glad to hear that Nate seems to be having fun at BYU and everyone else seems to be doing well. I miss you all a ton!
So this last week was another great week. It's hard to believe I leave for Peru in 5 days. My flight leaves July 3rd at 6 a.m. which means I need to report to the travel office at like 3:00 in the morning or something. And I'm going to miss the Stadium of Fire fireworks show, but I'll just find the other Americans in Peru and we can have a party down there. I've heard a lot about the Peru MTC since I've been here. My companion seems to know everyone and so he knows a guy who works with all the international MTCs and we got to sit down and talk with him about the Peru MTC for a bit. The MTC there is tiny. It holds like up to 140 missionaries or something and the guy said there were about 100 there right now compared to the 2500 that are here in Provo. It sounds really cool though. The MTC is built on the site of an old mansion and their only rules for building there was they couldn't destroy the fountain so they ended up building a court yard and the rest of the MTC around it. I'm a little nervous but really excited to go. I'm going to be forced to learn Spanish quickly once I get down there. I'm a little scared that I'm not going to understand anyone because they'll all be talking so fast. One thing I was told we do down there is that they send us out with the missionaries that are in the field in that area and we go teach actual people. That sounds way intense! We teach people discussions here, but they are all members and just acting to help us out. Once I get down to Peru, I'm going to be teaching real people and trying to invite them to come unto Christ. Hopefully I know enough Spanish by then to get by!
I've loved all the letters and packages I've got from friends and family! I'm going to try and write everyone back, but I'm a little behind because we have almost no time to write letters here. Thanks to Sister Heyman though for the letter! I wasn't expecting one and it was way cool to get one from her! I showed Elder Taylor Heyman and he thought it was pretty funny. It's just a good thing he had gotten a letter from his parents before I got one from them.
The one really cool thing that happened this week was that all the new mission presidents came in for training. They were here for about a week and because they were here, a bunch of the apostles were here as well. I thought we were going to hear from them quite a bit, but they were pretty busy with all the mission presidents so we only got to see them and hear them speak at the devotional on Tuesday night. That was still so cool. None of the first presidency was there that night, but 10 of the 12 apostles were there. All of them were there except for President Packer and Elder Hales. Elder L. Tom Perry spoke to us and his talk was very different. It was all about statistics of church members compared to the general public. It was a little hard to understand at first, but as I thought about it and we talked about it afterwards it made me realize how blessed I really am because of this church. I am so happy and my life is so good because of my desire to follow and serve my Heavenly Father and I am so grateful for that.
Well thanks again for everything! I'm not sure when my P-day is going to be in Peru so I don't know when my next email will be, but I'm excited to let you know all about it! Hope everyone is doing well and thanks again for all the letters! I love hearing about how all my friends and family are doing! Love you all!
Con amor,
Elder Joshua Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment