Friday, July 20, 2012

Peru Week 2

Hey fam!
How are things going back in good old AZ? 
Well things are still going well here. The food has taken some getting used too, but it is actually quite good. My stomach hasn't quite adjusted yet and I've had "espiritus malos in mi estomago" pretty much since I got here. It's not too terrible though and so I live with it. The weather here is nearly perfect. It could have a touch less humidity, but its like 60 degrees almost everyday. And I wish the sun came out more. It's cloudy all the time here. There's like this fog/mist that just hangs in the air, but the sun has come out once since we got here and that was an awesome day.

All we do here during gym time is play soccer. All the latinos love soccer and they're all really good at it. They let us gringos get involved and play with them though and I've actually scored two goals against some of them so far! I could die a happy man now haha. And during some of our devotionals and stuff I'm finally one of those people who gets to use the translation headset. There are a couple elders here who speak a little english and so they get to translate for us so it's a little tough to understand at times, but we get the gist of the messages. I just can't wait till I can understand everything in Spanish.

So this last Saturday, we had the opportunity to go proselyting outside the MTC. That was one crazy experience. It was an awesome experience, but crazy as well. They made sure to scare us up quite a bit before. We weren't allowed to bring anything valuable and they said if you get robbed or someone has a gun, don't fight back and just go along with it. And they told us a bunch of other stuff, but when we actually got out there is was pretty sweet. I was with my native companion, Elder Rojas, and an elder already in the field and a guy who works at the MTC, Hermano Tello. Being out there was so much different. We had a list of houses where less active members lived, and we were supposed to go around to those houses and teach a lesson and invite the people to come to church. The first house we went to though, the less active member either didn't live there anymore, or had died (I couldn't really understand what the guy at the door said). But we were able to teach this guy we were talking to instead. I didn't really say anything at all that lesson. We taught him outside his house and there was this giant tractor right behind me so I couldn't hear a word the guys said, but we ended up leaving him with a Book of Mormon and a pamphlet about the Restauration which was pretty sweet. The next house we went to was a very old lady's house. She let us in and we asked her how she was doing and she straight off said "bad". The then went into this long story that I didn't understand much of, but I understood that she was really sick and not doing so well. I was then able to participate in giving her a blessing which was an awesome experience! My companion and I then shared one of our favorite scriptures with her and then we left. The rest of the houses we went too after that no one was home or they didn't live there anymore, so since we had a lot of extra time, the Hermano and Elder we were with made us start contacting people. So we would just walk up to people on the street and ask if we could talk to them about our message a little. We were able to give away a few more pamphlets and stuff. And one door we walked up to and knocked on, I was able to share a 5-10 minute lesson on the Restauration with that person in Spanish. One thing I learned though is that it is soo much harder to understand people in the field. People talk soo much faster and often very quietly so you can't hear them. It's something I'm going to have to learn to get used too, but it was a sweet experience anyways!

So about the letters, I'm pretty sure that anyway you send a letter here will work. People have gotten all types of letters here just fine. I think the pouch way might be the cheapest, but the letter will get here whatever way. Just don't send money in the letters because one of our teachers told us that someone will probably steal it. Also, Sarah Adams! If you are still reading this sometimes, if you get a chance to send me another letter that'd be awesome if it had a picture or two of some of the homies from BYU. Or if any of my other homies are reading this I'd love to get pictures of everyone! We took some cool pictures at the beginning and end of the year with a bunch of us together so that'd be awesome! The latinos here love pictures and always want to see pictures of your family and friends, and I don't have any so I'd love to get some!

Any ways that's all the time I've got for this week! I'm loving it here and still having a great time. Let me know how things are going at home with the family! And how things are going with some of my friends with missions and all that good stuff. I love you and miss you all!
Love,
Elder Joshua Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment